A necklace is a jewelry item worn around the neck and the earliest necklaces dated back to the Stone Age, more than 40,000 years ago. Although they were not always a fashionable accessory, nowadays, they are more or less wore as fashion statements in the contemporary world.
Necklaces are popular with both men and women and are available in different shapes and sizes. Choosing the right necklace can add a touch of glamour and enhance a person’s features. They are also a fun way to accessorize your outfit and add a touch of flamboyance to your personality. While it is convenient to buy your necklace from shops and stores it’s not often an easy task to find the right accessory for your wardrobe which is also likewise unique. Most of the jewelry pieces you buy in the market have at least thousands of copies spread worldwide.
Have you ever looked to buy a necklace and felt you could do it yourself? That’s why DIY or Do It Yourself activities can be a fun and rewarding way to create your own unique accessories. What better way to guarantee you are the sole owner of an exclusive piece, then deciding to Do It Yourself?
The best part of making your necklace is that you get to pick whatever pleases your eyes. There are a few basic supplies one must procure first before starting with the activity. All the items are inexpensive and can be easily obtained from any craft store. Here is a list of basic supplies you will initially need:
1. Tools: Wire cutters and pliers. The former is essential for cutting and trimming wire. Pliers are required to grip wires and make loops. Investment in more professional tools can be done as required.
2. Wire: They are great to create the shapes and structures of your preference. This wire comes in a range of thickness and types. Choose one according to the look you want for your jewelry.
3. Stringing materials: You will need this to string your beads, and its size must match the holes or too much friction can cause the thread to fray. Another alternative to using threads is to use metallic chains, though they will cost more.
4. Beads: This is where you can let your imagination run wild and select beads of different shapes and sizes. It is important to buy only what you intend to use, otherwise most people end up buying more than required. If you are one of the more eclectic types, charms, animal bones, shells and pendants can also be added to personalize your necklace.
5. Findings and Fastenings: They are generally made out of metal and are used to fasten or attach jewelry so that it can be worn.
6. Needles: Depending on the type of beadwork you have selected, you might need needles to string the beads. Needles are also required for stitching any embroidery if required.
As you gain more expertise in your activity there are a number of tools and equipments for necklace makers that can help you create more intricate designs. The rest is up to your skills and imagination to see how well you put them to use so you can craft your own DIY necklaces.